Saturday, November 8, 2014

To Serve and Protect


March 12, 2014

MEMORANDUM from the ACLU to U.S. Attorney Detroit MI

Re: The Killing of Milton Hall

On Feb 25, 2014, the justice Dept announced that federal civil rights charges will not be filed against Saginaw Police Dept (SPD) officers who on July 1, 2012, shot and killed Milton Hall, a 49-year-old mentally ill African American homeless man. The killing was video recorded and footage shows that Hall was unarmed except for a three-inch knife. The six officers discharged 47 bullets.  Video footage shows that all shots were within a matter of seconds and that Hall collapsed before the firing ended.

The Justice Dept's decision was preceded by a decision by the Saginaw County Prosecutor and the Michigan Attorney General not to prosecute under laws.  In a statement, the Justice Dept said; "The tragic event does not present sufficient evidence of willful misconduct to give rise to a federal criminal prosecution of the officers involved."   (pdf found here)

Let's bring this down to and elementary level, which is the concept of Serve and Protect, an officer's Oath.

"On my honor, I will never betray my badge, my integrity, my character, or the public trust. I will always have the courage to hold myself and others accountable for our actions. I will always uphold the constitution my community and the agency I serve."  (IACP)

Now with this in mind, seems that their boat is not docking at the pier and the public outcry once again of a crumbling Republic is ringing true to what is just.

This video aired YouTube Oct 27, 2014, a dash cam recording the ACLU of Michigan posted and demonstrates the execution of human rights, the execution of The Republic for which it stands.

ACLU

To Serve and Protect- Milton Hall  

ACLUofMichigan

No comments:

Post a Comment